GLOBAL MARITIME DISTRESS AND SAFETY SYSTEM-GMDSS COURSE – GENERAL OPERATOR’S CERTIFICATE (GMDSS-GOC)
The course GMDSS GOC is dedicated for students and for seafarers who have to obtain a GMDSS General Operator Certificate for Maritime Mobile and Maritime Mobile Satellite Services in accordance with: The ITU Radio Regulations; The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) 1974, as amended.
On completion of the training, the trainees will have knowledge of the GMDSS system and be able to take charge of communications with the relevant rescue authority in emergency situations. They will be able to:
• Communicate using terrestrial systems operating in the medium, high and very high frequency bands;
• Demonstrate capability to use digital selective calling devices;
• Understand the communication using satellite systems types FLEET 77, Fleet Broadband;
• Operate and test SARTs and EPIRBs;
• Understand the use of ITU and ALRS documents;
• Demonstrate technical capabilities to carry out maintenance procedures for batteries and aerials;
• Use procedures in order to mitigate the effects of false Distress alerts following unintentional transmission.
Presentation of the GMDSS-GOC course – see course leaflet